Course Offerings for Pathway Program (Grades 5 – 8):
The Program includes one of the three pathways with a 4 year track. The pathway courses will be available on an A/B day rotation. On the day of the pathway course, students will report to that class for all four 9 weeks of the school year. On the opposite days, students will still be in a random 9 week rotation of the traditional specials’ courses.General Specials’ Course Offerings (Grades 5 – 8)
Foreign Language Pathway
Students enrolled in this pathway will participate in an accelerated curriculum to earn a Carnegie unit of high school credit. By the end of the eighth grade year, students will have completed the ninth grade course and be eligible to take the next level Spanish course. To earn the high school credit, students must demonstrate successful performance in the 6th, 7th and 8th grade courses. * The credit program is expected to begin with the rising 5th grade students.
Performing Arts Pathway
Students previously enrolled in band have been automatically enrolled in the performing arts pathway. The band and drama instruction will emphasize students’ abilities to participate in productions for the school community and other regional competitions.
CTAE (Animation and Digital Media/Electric and Solar Energy) Pathway
- Animation and Digital Media: Students enrolled in this pathway will take the animation course during the first semester of each year. The instruction will include storyboarding, Pixel Art, 2D and 3D animation. Students will gain the ability to apply storytelling and creativity to produce their own narratives.
- Electric and Solar Energy: This course is offered during the second semester of each school year as a component to the environmental science curriculum. Students will learn about sustainable and green techniques through studies in electrical theory and photovoltaic systems.
Students in grades 5 – 8 have been placed in a pathway program based on the following criteria:
- Performing Arts – Rising 5th grade students signed up in 4th grade and have been scheduled for the band program during their 5th grade year. Students in grades 6 – 8 are continuing in the band program as they have previously been enrolled.
- Foreign Language – Spanish is being offered for students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The pathway program will allow students in grades 5 – 8 with proficient reading scores as measured by the Winter 2017 or Spring 2017 MAP scores. Students must have a percentile score that is 70 or above on either the Winter or Spring reading test. (Students that were not enrolled in band and meet these criteria were enrolled in the Foreign Language Pathway.) Students that continue in this pathway may have the opportunity to earn high school credit upon completion of middle school. )This may will only apply to our rising 5th graders.)
- Career, Technical and Agricultural Education (CTAE) – Course offered to students in 5th grade include media and communication, solar and electric energy as well as animation. All students that are not enrolled in the Performing Arts Pathway or Foreign Language Pathway are automatically enrolled in the CTAE Pathway Program.
* All courses will offer a progressive curriculum throughout the school year and across grade levels.
The pathway program will strengthen students areas of interest and allow them to begin to focus on STEAM options in high school, college and their chosen careers. Students enroll in the pathway during the 5th grade school year and are expected to remain in the same pathway through the end of their 8th grade year.
General Specials’ Course Offerings (Grades 5 – 8):
All students in grades 5 will have the opportunity to experience all exploratory specials offered at D.A.T.E. These include: health, physical education, environmental science, computer literacy/technology, and drama.